One of the most common questions in the veterinary literature is when you should neuter your puppy. Picking the right age to spay or neuter your dog is very important, and there have been several opinions about it. For a long time, animal shelters and rescue groups have advocated for an early age (6 months or even earlier). Today, many veterinarians and breeders recommended waiting until a puppy is a little bit older.
To make the right decision, you need to consider several facts. You may visit the veterinarians and staff at Pavilion Crossing Animal Hospital in Riverview, Florida, also serving Wesley Chapel area to learn more.
What Factors Do You Need to Consider?
- Age of your dog. Most dog owners prefer to neuter their puppies when they are young. Firstly, puppies recover faster than older dogs. Secondly, it is more expensive to neuter adult dogs
- Size of your puppy. The results of recent studies have shown that larger dog breeds should have a delayed spay or neuter due to certain health issues
- Sex of your canine. Veterinarians agree that female puppies should be spayed as early as possible because delayed spay often results in the appearance of mammary tumors. Moreover, there is also a risk of pregnancy that you should not forget about. In addition, your female dog increases the risk of developing a dangerous infection of the uterus called pyometra
- Behavioral issues. If your puppy exhibits any aggressive behavior, it should be spayed or neutered earlier
- The role of your dog. What is the role of your pooch? Is it a working dog, service dog, or show dog? Or is your puppy a part of a reputable breeding program? Depending on the intended use of your dog, you can delay neuter or spaying
- Health issues. If your puppy is born with congenital issues, you should neuter or spay it early
- Weight. When your puppy grows and gets heavier, it requires increased dosages of anesthetic drugs and pain medications. As a result, the neuter or spay procedure becomes more expensive and riskier for your pooch. Moreover, if your female dog is overweight, there might be fat accumulated around the ovaries, which increases the risk of developing health complications
- Where you got your dog. Most animal shelters and rescue centers require dogs to be neutered or spayed within a specific time frame. Your puppy may also be neutered prior to adoption. If you purchased your puppy from a breeder, they might also require you to neuter your pooch at a certain point in your dog’s life
Spay Neuter Clinic in Riverview, Florida – Pavilion Crossing Animal Hospital
Are you searching for a spay-neuter clinic in Riverview, Wesley Chapel, Florida, or nearby? You should contact Pavilion Crossing Animal Hospital, which provides pet spaying and neutering.
Share this Article:
Dr. Keshava Eega
Pavilion Crossing Animal Hospital
Dr. Keshava Eega moved to the United States in 2003 to further his passion for practicing high-quality and modern veterinary medicine in a challenging environment. Having graduated from the College of Veterinary Science in Hyderabad, India, he then completed his Master’s in Animal Science and the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam in 2006. Dr. Eega then completed his clinical rotations at the Louisiana State University, School of Veterinary Medicine and subsequently obtained his license to practice Veterinary Medicine in the state of Florida. Dr. Eega possesses thirteen years of experience in corporate practice in Orlando as both an Associate Veterinarian and a Lead Doctor. Through the course of his tenure, he has gained vast and widespread experience and exposure in both the practice of high-quality veterinary medicine and soft tissue surgeries. He also possesses professional interests in preventive care, senior pet care, skin cases, nutrition, behavior and wellness exams, particularly for both cats and dogs. Dr. Eega also possesses Fear Free certification which enables him to rid pets, owners and even veterinary health care teams of fear, stress, and anxiety. Hence, in the hands of Dr. Eega, you can be assured that your pet receives modern, customized care in a comfortable environment!